Friday, September 14, 2012

Devil on One Shoulder and Angel on Another

The image of a devil on one shoulder and angel on the other is a well-worn one but one I can relate to. Patrick wants to be that angel telling me what I should choose when I’m tempted to listen to the temptations skillfully presented by the one perched on my other shoulder. The truth is I often feel like a pawn played with by God and Satan. In the book of Job, God brags about how Job is a wonderful example of humanity and Satan says, “Of course he is – you’ve provided him with everything. How will he measure up when you take things away from him?”

Here’s how I picture the conversation between God and Satan when it comes to me and my fitness journey.
Satan: I have Karin exactly where I want her: pacified by actions that have no meaning and glued to the TV.
God: I know. She’s sad and lonely and choosing to give up. I love her too much to let her stay this way. I have too many plans that involve her for her to treat herself this way. I know! I’ll have Leona help her to use a fitness and food tracking app.
Satan: How’s that working for you?
God: Not too well. She’s happy for Leona’s progress, but not interested enough to use it for herself. I’m going to have to hit closer to home. I’ll have Jonathan jump on the bandwagon. 
Satan: Hee, hee, hee, that’s a fail if ever I saw one. Now Karin is angry at Jonathan for changing. I might just be able to keep Karin complacent and break up her marriage.
God: Come on, Karin. Can’t you see what’s happening around you? Fight!
Satan: Curses! She’s getting out of her chair, choosing to exercise, and using the app to track her eating. I think giving her a hand problem that needs surgery will slow her down.
God: Hah! No it hasn’t she’s a determined woman and she’s found ways to modify her workout. I’m going to reward her by giving her a trainer for free.
Satan: Drat! I can’t seem to get a hold of her, especially since she decided to hire the trainer. I’ll have to try another thing. I’ll make her tear off her toenail the day of a 5K race. If that doesn’t work, I’ll give her a hamstring injury.
God: I think you’re up for a fight, my friend. She’s not stopping no matter what you throw at her. She has too much of a support group, and she’s doing enough different activities that she has ways to stay active even when things hurt.
Satan: I’m not giving up
God: Neither is she.

1 comment:

  1. Neither am I.

    You keep amazing me with new milestones reached. If Old Scratch thinks he can stop that, he hasn't figured out that we're fighting side by side now.

    Care for another piece of broccoli?

    ReplyDelete