Monday, September 17, 2012

Did You Do Something Different with Your Hair?

So, it’s been around 3 months since I started training with Patrick and people want to know what it’s like and what progress I’ve made.
Let’s start with a comparison chart:
Before Patrick
After Patrick
I ate balanced food and was developing better portion control.
I eat balanced food and am much better at portion control, but I don’t eat starchy foods after lunch.
I ate pizza and pasta and potatoes
I still eat them but not at dinner, and I don’t tell Patrick about the pizza unless I want to see that vein in his head start to throb.
I was beginning my exercise program and was devoted to doing “something” two times a week
I exercise daily. The big difference is that I ask myself, “When can I exercise and what do I swap out to do it?” If it’s family time or work time, I don’t do it. If it’s TV time, I do.
I watched a lot of TV
I’m not watching much TV, but my fall shows haven’t yet started. Thank God for the DVR
I talked about books, kids, and the weather.
I talk about books, kids, the weather and exercise. I find so many more people that I can have a conversation with and we quickly develop a bond. Since what I read might not appeal to others and my parenting experience might differ from others’, it’s much easier to connect about fitness.
I ate constantly out of restlessness or boredom.
I can wait to eat if I need to. This one’s a biggie and it’s taken some time to get here. I don’t exactly know what made the change happen. I think it has partly to do with being very organized with my menu. It also has to do with this being a dual effort between Jonathan and me. I still get bored and restless and get tempted to snack. Sometimes I do; most times I ask myself when my next meal is and usually, I can wait.
I snacked after dinner
I rarely eat after dinner. This will be more challenging when I’m watching TV at night. Not sure what my plan will be. Now I go into a different room and read or go up to bed. I’m up for suggestions.


What are my physical changes? Well, of course I’ve lost weight. I’m approaching my 75# mark and I’m very excited about it. I’m wearing the clothes that I put aside when I was gaining weight, but those are getting loose, so I’ll need to get new clothes before too long. I’m still in plus sizes and, any of you ample women who like to shop at thrift stores for bargains will agree with me when I say that my choices at thrift stores are limited and not very appealing. I’ll look there, but I don’t have hope for much. Once I get into “normal sizes” like 12-14, I can most likely find some wearable clothes for cheap. I’ll need to take my oldest daughter, Leona, with me to shop because I have no idea how a think person should dress. I’ve been covering up this big body for so long; I’m not sure what I should wear. Just because I CAN wear it, doesn’t mean I SHOULD.
 Because I’m still in plus sizes, not everyone has noticed my weight loss. Lots of people ask if I’ve done something with my hair. One person insisted that I must have colored my hair. Those of you, who know me personally, know how odd that comment is. I have very short-grey hair. There’s not much I can do differently. But they notice a change.
I fit into theater and I imagine airline seats better. My hips don’t bump the armrests as I get in and out.
My knee and foot pain is lessening.
I can do things like get up and down from the floor easier. I still feel ungainly, but I’m no longer worried that I’ll get stuck midway.
There’s less wobble in my upper arms. It’s still there, but I no longer worry that the rebound will slap me in the head.
What do I do to work out? Well, here’s my current plan and it will change when my job responsibilities change (which happens at each semester and mid-way between each semester and during breaks).
Sunday
: AM Run or Bike ride plus I work out at church. After services, April and Patrick come and lead an exercise class.
Monday: Patrick comes to train
Tuesday: Swim and abdominal class at the Rec Center
Wednesday: It’s a crazy day with me leaving the house at 7 am and I’m not home until 9 PM. I walk the dogs for 30 minutes and I wear a pedometer and get in 10,000 steps.
Thursday: I Bike or Run in the morning and sometimes I swing by the rec center for elliptical, but I think I’ll change that to a swim.
Friday: I go to a circuit training class followed by a Vinyasa Yoga class. In the evening, Jonathan and I have begun a class called “fit camp” it’s a way for us to share a fitness experience with some common goals.
Saturday: Patrick comes at 6AM!!! Rise and shine. I also try to do something active during the day (usually it’s cleaning).
So, what's changed? I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment