Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Watch that watch


I’m a big fan of analog watches. These are those that are adorned with such human characteristics as to have faces and hands. At a glance, I can put time in perspective: how much time I have until the next task or how much time has passed. No need to calculate anything. It’s right there for me. I don a supercilious air when I meet someone who can’t read this kind of clock (or write in cursive).

So, why might I want a digital clock, and why do I have so many of them? It started with a timer. I needed a timer to remind me to wrap up for the day at work and I found the perfect one: a Casio with both an analog face and a timer. I’d still have one of these if I could get a wristband for it. My next one was a green Timex. This has come in handy when I needed to know how long a task took. For example, if I wanted to walk for 30 minutes, I could set the watch to count up and spend just the right amount of time on the task.

 As my fitness quest grew, so did my need for more digital technology. I needed a heart rate monitor. As I write this, I have two with a third on the way. I first got one with a chest strap that would give me a continuous heart rate reading and could interface with machines at the gym. The next one I won (it’s pink) and has timers. I really like it, but Patrick tells me that I need not only a continuous read and a chest-strap, but I need to monitor my calories burned. This one is on order.

When Jonathan started training for serious running, he got a watch that does laps, intervals, and a few more nifty things. Leona introduced me to a running program where one of those watches would come in handy. Also, when I looked into building up my swim endurance, I could see the benefit in knowing how long each lap lasts, so I got another watch. This one is waterproof.

As you might imagine, setting these contraptions is tricky. I’m not looking forward to when we “fall back.” A swift second hand, you glide easily past the arms that are so secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment